AO elects Dr. Jay Malmquist as 33rd President to lead its global initiatives
Arlington Heights, Ill., March 29, 2019 – Jay P. Malmquist, DMD, an oral and maxillofacial surgeon from Portland, OR, became the Academy of Osseointegration’s (AO) newest president at the organization’s Annual Business Meeting in Washington, DC.
As the Academy’s 33rd President, Dr. Malmquist succeeds Dr. James C. Taylor from Ottawa, Canada at the helm of AO.
“We have come a very long way with both the Academy and implant dentistry in general. We are focused… we are inclusive… and we are promoting the best care for all in a structured and cohesive organization. My thoughts as I begin this year will be to follow in the footsteps of some our past great leaders. However, we are at a crossroads with many of the issues that all associations face in general. Membership, relevancy, activities and meetings… all are in focus like never before,” said Dr. Malmquist.
Continuing in his address, Dr. Malmquist stated, “It is my goal – and hopefully my Board’s goal – to protect the Academy of Osseointegration’s brand moving forward. We are the premier organization in implant care and I will do everything I can to assure we maintain our status and presence on the world stage of treatment. I feel strongly that we should be the united voice that speaks for implant care throughout North America as we enter into the controversial areas of specialty recognition, certification and training for every doctor who aspires to use implant care to further the patient’s health.”
“I look forward to a great year. It is an honor to serve you,” he concluded.
As part of its annual business meeting, one current director was elected to Secretary: Dr. Jeffrey D. Lloyd, general dentist, Rancho Cucamonga, CA.
One new AO Director was also elected. New director Robert R. Lemke, DDS, MD is a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon from San Antonio, TX, and AO member since 2005. Dr. Lemke is in private practice with three offices in the San Antonio area. He holds both DDS and MD degrees from the University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio. He is an International Team of Implantology (ITI) Fellow.
Active in AO, he is currently chair of the Research Submissions Committee and was chair of the Charitable Grants Committee. He has also served on the AO Clinical Innovations, AO/OF Research Grants, Annual Meeting, E-Posters, and Education Oversight/Advisory committees. He has also served on the board of the Osseointegration Foundation. An active contributor to the profession throughout his dental career, Dr. Lemke has also published in many dental and medical journals and contributed to chapters in books.
The full 2019 – 2020 Board of Directors serving with Dr. Malmquist will be:
- President-elect: Clark M. Stanford, DMD, PhD, a prosthodontist from Chicago, IL.
- Vice President: Tara L. Aghaloo, DDS, MD, PhD, an oral & maxillofacial surgeon from Los Angeles, Calif.
- Secretary: Jeffrey D. Lloyd, DDS, a general practitioner from Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.
- Treasurer: Amerian D. Sones, DMD, MS, a prosthodontist from Dallas, TX.
- Past President: James C. Taylor, DMD, MA, a prosthodontist from Ottawa, ON, Canada.
- New Director: Robert R. Lemke, a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon from San Antonio, TX.
- Joseph P. Fiorellini, DMD, DMSc, a periodontist from Philadelphia, PA.
- Jeffrey Ganeles, DMD, a periodontist from Boca Raton, FL, USA
- Jöerg Neugebauer, DDS, PhD, an oral surgeon from Landsberg am Lech, Germany.
- Robert C. Vogel, DDS, a general practitioner from Palm Beach Gardens, FL, USA.
- Hom-Lay Wang, DDS, MSD, PhD, a periodontist from Ann Arbor, MI, USA.
About Academy of Osseointegration
With nearly 5,000 members in more than 60 countries around the world, AO is recognized as the premier international association for scientists and professionals interested in osseointegration and implant dentistry. AO serves as a nexus where specialists, generalists and scientists can come together to evaluate emerging research, technology, and techniques; share best practices; and define optimal patient care using timely science and evidence-based methods. Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and Instagram @AcademyOsseo, @AcademyofOsseointegration on Linkedin and subscribe to us on YouTube.
Contact: William Wille
Media & Public Relations Manager